The Overland-Tandberg LTO-8 tape drive technology is the newest LTO-generation and follows the roadmap of the LTO consortium, which now includes 12 generations.
The uncompressed capacity has doubled to 12TB compared to the predecessor LTO-7. The compressed transfer rate remains the same and amounts to 2.7TB/h. LTO-7 is the optimal solution for capacity-hungry, performance-driven applications like in the media and entertainment industry, in imaging applications, in medical environments or for the collection of scientific data. The LTO-7 tape drive supports LTFS, WORM and AES 256-bit hardware encryption providing maximum protection for data stored off-site or in transit. LTO-8 is read/write compatible with LTO-7.
- Capacity: 12TB / 30TB (native/compressed*)
- Performance up to 2.7 TB/h (compressed*)
- Low cost of ownership and low media cost
- Enterprise features and performance in a small form factor
- Future proof with 12-generation roadmap
- Data speed matching reduces mechanical wear and extends tape life
- Proven reliability MTBF of 250,000 hrs. at 100% duty cycle
- LTFS, WORM and AES 256-bit encryption
- 30 year archival life
- 3 years Advanced Replacement Service warranty
LTO-7 Type M
LTO-7 type M media are LTO-7 media, which are initialized in a LTO-8 drive. In addition, dedicated barcode labels will be used to mark these media in an automation environment. LTO-7 type M media provide a capacity of 9TB, which is a perfect choice for customers who do not need the total capacity of a LTO-8 media.
* Assumes compression ratio of 2:1 on LTO-4/5 and 2.5:1 on LTO-6,7 and 8